In terms of strategies, my cooperating teacher demonstrated how to run highly demanding and intense rehearsals without causing students to crack under the pressure. Specifically, she changed gears often, so students weren't stuck on one piece of music for too long. She suggested that I do the same, because students can't handle the same intense focus that professional musicians can. My experience as a professional violinist caused me to become hyper-focused on details in rehearsal, and I simply didn't see that students couldn't hold the same level of concentration for as long as I expected.
This week I chose to focus on standard 4 - learning environment. "The competent teacher structures a safe and healthy learning environment that facilitates cultural and linguistic responsiveness, emotional well-being, self-efficacy, positive social interaction, mutual respect, active engagement, academic risk-taking, self-motivation, and personal goal-setting." Since active engagement was difficult in rehearsal this week, I will be making some changes for my rehearsals next week. I will need to take some "academic risks" such as making new analogies, coming out of my shell, and becoming much more animated for the high school students. I believe this will create a positive and engaging environment that will lead students to success in the completion of our tasks.
Goals for next week:
1. Adjust my rehearsal strategies to allow for more flexibility and will change pace more quickly. I'm conducting one piece with each group, and it may be helpful to switch pieces/teachers every 15 minutes to keep students engaged.
2. Have more fun during rehearsal. If I'm able to create a relaxed atmosphere, students will calm down and our rehearsal will be more effective.
3. Complete open job applications. I have 3 open applications that I hope to finish in the coming week. New jobs are popping up every so often, and I'm hoping for something good nearby!
I see you are taking the advice of your CT and modifying the intensity of your instruction to keep your students engaged without adding more pressure to their rehearsals. I know we talked about this at your last observation. So it's good to see that you are focusing on this. I'm anxious to see and talk to you more about the academic risks you plan to put into place when I visit this week.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with your goals for the week, especially #3! See you soon!
Mr. Kleven
ReplyDeleteYou consistently do well with reflecting on what the students will be learning and doing. Next week I want to encourage you to go deeper. Share more about your strategies and thinking as you teach and any learning that is taking place from you based on the experiences of the week. Although you may have one standard you will focus on, your writing can be connected to a few IPTS, so please make these connections.
Best,
Dr. Austin