The best strategy that I learned this week is "less is more". I learned that I can't let any mistakes go by uncorrected, mainly because the students often don't know they're making them. I learned to work on smaller sections of music, and pick apart every detail until the music is as good as I want it to be. I also learned that I need to break apart sections while rehearsing, and listen to individual groups or students. During one rehearsal, my cooperating teacher mentioned that the French Horns were very out of tune. On the video she took, I could hear how out of tune they really were, but was surprised that I didn't hear it as clearly during the rehearsal. It may be important for me to record rehearsals regularly to review the sound while I'm not teaching.
In the week ahead, I hope to learn more about my rehearsal demeanor by having my cooperating teacher record more videos of rehearsal. She is nit-picking every minor detail and word I say, but I certainly appreciate it. I am a perfectionist and want to be as close to perfect in rehearsal as I can get. Additionally, based on my experiences over the past few weeks, I believe that I will be able to more effectively communicate my expectations to the ensembles and hold them to a much higher standard while continuing to create a positive learning environment.
We have high school students who come over to the middle to tutor the middle school students. This is a wonderful opportunity for both students, and builds a bond between older and younger students. Additionally, the high school students gain experience in teaching, which helps solidify their own understanding of the conceptual material we study at the high school level.
Goals for the upcoming week:
1. Continue to be picky with sound in rehearsal
2. Build more relationships with students
3. Make solid progress on edTPA planning and recording
Your continuous assessment of your students' performances have allowed you to use the informal data that you have gathered effectively (i.e. your situation with the section of students who had not practiced.) And you are using your results to drive effective teaching decisions. Remember this experience at future job interviews as a great example when you are asked to describe how you use formative assessment data to drive your teaching decisions and what changes you make to get the desired outcomes.
ReplyDeleteyou may be doing this but don't forget the option of co-teaching any of your classes with your CT. There's parallel teaching, station teaching, supplementary teaching, differentiated teaching options. If you don't have access to a more thorough description of these strategies let me know when I see you this week and I can provide you with that information. Your CT also has access on the Trinity cooperating teacher website.
Thanks for being able to tolerate the very intense constructive feedback you are getting and staying strong through the process. As you know in your profession that's where the experts stand out. By your continuous acceptance of feedback and implementation of change in a positive manner you are becoming stronger as a musician and educator.
I'm looking forward to my visit this week!
Mr. Kleven,
ReplyDeleteYour blog has continued to be very detailed and reflective in many areas that show your planning and practices. The flexibility that is connected to outcomes and expectations of the students are great strategies to have in your toolkit for teaching.
Looking forward to week 5!
Dr. Austin