Week 2 can best be summed up in one word... reality. The kids are used to me and being a "real" teacher has officially started. I'm teaching a pretty heavy load - three orchestras of grades 9-12 and three orchestras at the middle school (6-8). I spent a lot of time rehearsing and working with groups at the middle school this week. Fortunately my high school students are taking finals, so there was some time to catch up on grading.
One interesting behavioral situation took place this week. We didn't talk much about behavioral management in previous Trinity classes, but I knew I would encounter some issues. With the students getting to know me better, they are testing their boundaries. Their regular teacher is very tough, but also has fun with them. The 7th grade group was a bit chatty (during my evaluation), and I had to calm them down. Thankfully they listen well, but need constant reminders.
I'm also learning more about the importance of student roles in the classroom. Certain middle school students take care of daily tasks (attendance, setup, tuning, etc.). The students who help in the class are generally very positive and have a sense of pride in the classroom. I see them becoming leaders in the orchestra, but also in the school. As we teach high school too, I predict these students will become ambassadors for the higher level groups, taking on greater and greater roles.
In the week ahead, I hope to learn more from the videos my cooperating teacher is taking. I'm learning a lot about my conducting style, and the more I watch these videos, the quicker I'm able to make small changes for the better. I also hope to discover more about student learning strategies at the high school level. I'll be taking over for my cooperating teacher next Thursday and Friday, and I want to do a great job with the high school students. I now know that I can utilize a few different instructional strategies. First, I can be a lot bossier with the students. If something doesn't sound good, I have to stop the ensemble and let them know. The students actually seem to like it when I get picky with their sound. I'll also do a better job of addressing all the sections. I tend to pick on the violins because their music is the hardest, but it is important to address other sections so they don't feel neglected (especially the basses!).
Standard 2 - Content Area and Pedagogical Knowledge – The competent teacher has in-depth
understanding of content area knowledge that includes central concepts, methods of inquiry, structures of
the disciplines, and content area literacy. The teacher creates meaningful learning experiences for each
student based upon interactions among content area and pedagogical knowledge, and evidence-based
practice.
In week 2, I focused on standard 2 - content area and pedagogical knowledge. I'm jumping into fairly high level classes that require considerable pedagogical knowledge. There are many ways to instruct an orchestra, but the way comments are phrased can elicit expected or unexpected sounds from the ensemble. My cooperating teacher is really helping me understand best practices for orchestra, and to develop solid pedagogical strategies. Not only do I need to have a firm understanding of performance strategies for student instrumentalists, but I also must develop my own pedagogical strategies. Some are developing naturally and others are coming directly from my cooperating teacher. I'm quite the perfectionist, and love hearing feedback about what is going well, and what isn't working.
In week 2, I focused on standard 2 - content area and pedagogical knowledge. I'm jumping into fairly high level classes that require considerable pedagogical knowledge. There are many ways to instruct an orchestra, but the way comments are phrased can elicit expected or unexpected sounds from the ensemble. My cooperating teacher is really helping me understand best practices for orchestra, and to develop solid pedagogical strategies. Not only do I need to have a firm understanding of performance strategies for student instrumentalists, but I also must develop my own pedagogical strategies. Some are developing naturally and others are coming directly from my cooperating teacher. I'm quite the perfectionist, and love hearing feedback about what is going well, and what isn't working.
·
Goals for the upcoming week
- Recognize when I'm losing student attention and shift activities
- Continue to develop my teacher voice (without losing my voice)
- Continue to complete my lesson plans to prepare for the edTPA
- Recognize when I'm losing student attention and shift activities
- Continue to develop my teacher voice (without losing my voice)
- Continue to complete my lesson plans to prepare for the edTPA
·
I know you thought the 7th grade students were chatty during my observation but you handled it well. I did not pick up on any concerns.
ReplyDeleteContinue to take your CT's constructive feedback and model the application of the suggested strategies so you can actually 'see' and 'feel' what the changes look like. I'm proud of the fact that you are so willing to accept constructive feedback from her as well as me. Those videos are an excellent source for you to get daily feedback. It makes for a stronger professional, always willing to learn and refine his teaching style.
Your analysis of standard 2 is spot on as well as the evidence you have provided to confirm your application of this standard. I like the goals you set for yourself. I was able to see you are off to a good start in working toward mastering those goals. Have a great week!
Mr. Kleven,
ReplyDeleteYour experiences are moving a such a fast pace and it sounds like you are being very reflective and taking special notes on how to manage and do task that will be beneficial to you. Excellent work making connections to the standards, setting goals, using the guiding questions to focus your blog.
Continue onward to week 3!
Dr. Austin