What a week! Student teaching is tough! I'm in a very busy school with a very busy teacher. My cooperating teacher instructs orchestra at both the middle and high school levels. Her ensembles are a mix of students in 6th-8th grade and 9th-12th grade. Based on my own experiences in orchestra in school, I could predict the the classroom environment, but I was not prepared for the size. The three high school orchestras I instruct range from 40 to over 90 students. First hour is the largest with just over 90. Working with the largest ensemble is difficult, and it challenged one of my core beliefs about music education: the need to reach each student individually. As a private teacher, I have been able to work with students in a one-on-one setting. With the ensemble of 90+, all learning and rehearsal is done as a huge group. It really is difficult to address individual student issues in a group this large, but the size is necessary for ensemble performances.
I learned many new techniques and strategies while observing and working with the ensemble. Right away, my teacher mentioned that I need to get my "teacher voice". While conducting the orchestras, I wasn't projecting my voice enough, and students near the back of the classroom were unable to hear me. I was able to correct this by my second day of teaching. I also learned that "less is more". I tended to let the students play too much without stopping, and that when I did stop them, I talked too much. My cooperating teacher suggested stopping the music frequently, and addressing issues in less than 10 words.
My perspective on student roles also changed. After several days of observing and working with the groups, I noticed that my cooperating teacher wasn't taking attendance. In fact, she wasn't doing many of the procedural things I thought teachers did. She has a group of students who essentially "run" the class. They take attendance, pass back papers, and tutor others. Much of the Charlotte Danielson framework is present in this class.
In the week ahead, I hope to have more opportunities to work alongside my cooperating teacher. I'm really getting the hang of her style and flow of her classroom. I'm becoming confident, and really need to because I'll be completely taking over her entire schedule January 24-26 while she is away at the ILMEA music conference in Peoria with her all-state students. Based on my experiences this week, I will better plan my instruction by taking into account student retention, and will continue to project my voice. I already have a great connection with the students, and my biggest goal is to continue to gain and hold their trust.
Essential Standard: Left Hand Placement
"Students perform with the correct placement and angle of the left arm-wrist-hand-fingers to the instrument. Demonstrate position that is balanced and free of tension. Play with independence of fingers, ease of motion and control of finger weight; produce characteristic tone."
Goals for the upcoming week:
- Project voice better
- Work smaller sections during ensemble rehearsal
- Stop group more often and check for verbal understanding
- To practice excellent teaching
Wow, 90+ students in one section!!!! I am anxious to see how teaching and classroom management is accomplished with this type of setting. I have to admit, the largest ensemble I've seen in band was at Lake Forest High School with maybe 40 students. I'm sure you are going to learn a lot, but I agree, meeting individual needs will be a challenge. Your CT is providing you with some insider scoop on how to take care of some of Danielson's Learning Environment components as you mentioned in your blog post. Tip - don't use this class for your edTPA project.
ReplyDeleteYou're making great use of the constructive feedback you are getting from your CT. And you're jumping right in with complete take over in just one week! Hopefully the substitute teacher will be able to provide you with some support if needed, but your CT obviously feels you are ready for this challenge.
I'm sensing you are confusing Common Core Standards for Music with the Illinois Professional Teaching Standards. The IPTS standards are to guide teachers, not the curriculum. The common core standards and your district's music standards guide curriculum and are the ones you'll address in your edTPA. When you prepare your edTPA instead of referring your standards as common core you'll refer to them as ASTA Standards which is justifiable. (Science uses Next Generation Science Standards and Business has their own set of standards different from Common Core that many districts use.) I hope this clarifies the email question you sent to me. Now I understand what you were asking.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on Friday!
Mr. Keven,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your week 1 post. Your blog highlights some excellent details of your first week and how your experience has already begun to change some of your perspectives. I could really visualize your experiences and the environment. It sounds as though your cooperating teacher is one who provided support and even what I call coaching right on the spot. This can be great as it gives you the opportunity to make adjustments right away where appropriate. You have picked up on some very important and useful strategies that will be beneficial as you continue this journey and beyond.
During week 2 continue to identify and connect your experiences with the appropriate IPTS and/or ASTA standards. Illustrating examples give a clear picture of the connections you are making. I look forward to reading how you will continue to plan for your instructional week that will be coming up in a couple of weeks.
Have a great week 2!
Best,
Dr. Austin